- 3 cups fresh blueberries (may use thawed, unsweetened frozen berries)
- 3 cups fresh blackberries (may use thawed, unsweetened frozen berries)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons Splenda sweetener
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sweetener
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons reduced-calorie stick margarine, cut into small pieces (do not soften)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, place blueberries, blackberries, lemon juice, 6 tablespoons Splenda, and 1/4 cup flour; stir gently to combine. Transfer to an 8” x 8” baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons Splenda, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in margarine with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in walnuts and sprinkle evenly over fruit mixture. Bake 40–45 minutes, or until topping is golden-brown and fruit is bubbly. Portion into 9 equal servings. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 servings. Serving size: 1/12 of pie.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 258 calories, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 109 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 ½ fruit, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 ½.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.