- 1 six-ounce commercial graham cracker crumb piecrust
- 1 banana (about 6 inches), sliced
- 2 cups reduced-fat, no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups reduced-fat, no-sugar-added chocolate ice cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry 100% fruit spread
- 1/2 cup fat-free whipped topping
- 8 maraschino cherries with stems, well-drained
- 3 tablespoons lite chocolate syrup (such as Hershey’s)
Cover the bottom of the piecrust with banana slices. Spread softened vanilla ice cream over the banana slices, pressing it into spaces between bananas, making a smooth layer. Cover and freeze, about 1 hour, or until ice cream is firm. Soften chocolate ice cream 20–30 seconds in the microwave, or by allowing it to sit at room temperature 10–15 minutes. Remove pie from the freezer and cover vanilla ice cream completely with a layer of chocolate ice cream, smoothing it with a dull knife. Cover and return to the freezer until the ice cream is again hardened, about 1 hour. Before serving, allow pie to soften slightly at room temperature for 10–15 minutes and warm the fruit spread. To serve, cut pie into 8 slices and put on serving plates. Drizzle each piece with warm strawberry fruit spread. Top each with a dollop of whipped topping and a maraschino cherry, then drizzle lightly with chocolate syrup. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 slices. Serving size: 1 topped slice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 261 calories, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 other carbohydrates, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 3.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.