Oats are an excellent choice for breakfast, often combined with berries or fruits and served sweet. Since breakfast is mostly savory in India, this dish combining vegetables with oats makes it wholesome and a complete meal in itself. Its array of digestive spices such as ginger, cumin, coriander and healing turmeric make this dish appealing for every palate.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 cups kale
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 3 cups water
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add pinch of asafoetida. Allow to sizzle. Add cumin seeds and ginger and sauté for 10–15 seconds.
2. Sauté the kale, carrots, corn, and peas for 2–3 minutes. Add oats, turmeric powder, cumin seed powder, and coriander seed powder. Give it a quick stir.
3. Add water, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Any excess water will be quickly absorbed.
4. Serve warm, and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Recipe developed by Sapna Punjabi-Gupta.