Here are the basics of Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010:
• Balance your “calories in” with your “calories out” to manage your weight.
• Increase your intake of nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and protein foods, and healthy fats and oils.
• Reduce your intake of sodium, solid fats, added sugars, refined grains, and alcohol.
• Adopt a healthy eating pattern, selecting foods that meet both your nutrient and calorie needs, and following food safety recommendations to avoid illness.
• Take action in the movement to make America healthy.
You can find much more information about the updated Dietary Guidelines for Americans online, at www.choosemyplate.gov.