For the best results, you should meet the following criteria before starting insulin pump therapy:
- You should be strongly motivated to improve your blood glucose control.
- You should be willing to work with your health-care provider as an active member of your diabetes-care team.
- You should be willing to assume substantial responsibility for your day-to-day care.
- You should understand and demonstrate correct use of the insulin pump.
- You should be willing and able to frequently perform blood glucose self-monitoring.
- You should know how to adjust your self-care routine based on your blood glucose self-monitoring results.