If you’re interested in achieving better brain health, many relaxation techniques can be helpful. Here are some examples of activities and techniques that may help keep stress in check:
• Tai chi
• Biofeedback (using feedback on physical functions — such as brainwaves, heart rate, or muscle activity — to help change these functions)
• Guided imagery (mentally following a series of images described by a practitioner or recorded program)
• Psychotherapy (therapeutic interaction with a mental-health professional)
• Deep-breathing exercises
Other tips for better brain health include the following:
• Engage in mental exercise on a regular basis (chess, reading, discussion groups, etc.)
• Follow a healthy diet (reduce saturated fats and increase omega-3 fatty acids)
• Consume alcohol in moderation
• Get enough sleep
• Drink enough water
• Exercise at least 30 minutes a day
Source URL: https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/emotional-health/stress-brain/protecting-brain/
Disclaimer Statements: Statements and opinions expressed on this Web site are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the publishers or advertisers. The information provided on this Web site should not be construed as medical instruction. Consult appropriate health-care professionals before taking action based on this information.
Copyright ©2021 Diabetes Self-Management unless otherwise noted.