Having your child switch from insulin injections to an insulin pump is a big move. Here are some things to think about when making your decision:
- Assess your current diabetes skills. Are you able to keep your child’s blood glucose levels in target range with his current diabetes regimen?
- Ask your child how he feels about switching to a pump and what his concerns about it are.
- Learn more about insulin pumps, and discuss their use with your child’s health-care team.
- Assess your expectations for a pump. Find out what a pump can and cannot do for your child.
- Think about your family’s schedule and when would be the best time to start the pump for you and your child.
- Make sure there is parental and caregiver support for pump use.
- Consider what sort of day-care or school-related conflicts might arise and how you might resolve them.
- Schedule a pump evaluation with your child’s health-care team.