Consider these ideas to help promote a family-wide strategy to help you stay on track with your Type 2 diabetes. Family members can also take advantage of these strategies to reduce their risk of developing prediabetes or Type 2 diabetes.
• Stock the cupboards and refrigerator with a rich variety of fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein sources.
• Strategize by learning appropriate portion sizes for the foods you eat.
• Try a new “slimmed down” recipe each week, recruiting the family as taste testers to get their buy-in for the healthier recipe.
• Encourage water as a primary beverage; cutting out regular soda and sports drinks, and cutting down on juice, are good ways to eliminate additional calories.
• To help limit fat intake, choose lean cuts of meat and poultry and opt for baked and grilled foods more often.
• Look for dairy products that are low-fat and fat-free.
• Be sure to serve sauces and dressings on the side to minimize intake.
Source URL: https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/about-diabetes/diabetes-basics/type-2-diabetes-and-a-healthy-family-lifestyle/all-in-the-family/
Copyright ©2019 Diabetes Self-Management unless otherwise noted.