Consider these ideas to help promote a family-wide strategy to help you stay on track with your Type 2 diabetes. Family members can also take advantage of these strategies to reduce their risk of developing prediabetes or Type 2 diabetes.
• Stock the cupboards and refrigerator with a rich variety of fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein sources.
• Strategize by learning appropriate portion sizes for the foods you eat.
• Try a new “slimmed down” recipe each week, recruiting the family as taste testers to get their buy-in for the healthier recipe.
• Encourage water as a primary beverage; cutting out regular soda and sports drinks, and cutting down on juice, are good ways to eliminate additional calories.
• To help limit fat intake, choose lean cuts of meat and poultry and opt for baked and grilled foods more often.
• Look for dairy products that are low-fat and fat-free.
• Be sure to serve sauces and dressings on the side to minimize intake.
Source URL: https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/about-diabetes/diabetes-basics/type-2-diabetes-and-a-healthy-family-lifestyle/all-in-the-family/
Disclaimer Statements: Statements and opinions expressed on this Web site are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the publishers or advertisers. The information provided on this Web site should not be construed as medical instruction. Consult appropriate health-care professionals before taking action based on this information.
Copyright ©2021 Diabetes Self-Management unless otherwise noted.