You can continue to take good care of your diabetes as you age by doing the following:
• Talk with your health-care provider about available resources for diabetes self-management education and training for seniors.
• Tell your health-care provider if problems such as difficulty hearing, seeing, or reading are interfering with your ability to understand or carry out your diabetes treatment plan.
• Ask about the cost of medical care, medicines, monitoring supplies, and diabetes education and training, and investigate your resources for paying for them.
• Ask questions, and ask for clarification to make sure you understand what you are hearing from health-care providers.
• Talk to your diabetes care team about any diabetes-related information you find questionable or difficult to understand.
• Ask a trusted family member or friend to accompany you to health-care appointments or diabetes education classes for support — and another set of ears.