- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove (or 1 teaspoon) minced garlic
- 6 ounces (1/2 package) meatless ground beef crumbles
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small zucchini (approximately 7 inches long), diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (27 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 envelope (1.75 ounces) chili seasoning mix
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes; stir frequently to prevent sticking. Leftovers reheat well or may be frozen.
Yield: 9 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 153, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 770 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 1/2 nonstarchy vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.