- 2 teaspoons sodium-free powdered instant chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) frozen collard greens, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove (or 1 teaspoon) minced garlic
- 2 slices uncooked turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Cider vinegar
Stir together bouillon and water in a pan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add greens, onion, garlic, bacon, brown sugar, and salt. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes; stir occasionally. Drain the greens well and season each serving with cider vinegar to taste (give it a try; it actually enhances the flavor of the greens). If the greens are not drained, cornbread can be used to soak up the liquid, or “pot liquor.”
Yield: 3 1/2 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 53, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 171 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 nonstarchy vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.