- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or vegetarian chicken-flavored bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray. Add carrots and onion; cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add water, lentils, bouillon, cumin, and red pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until lentils are very tender.
Remove from heat; stir in tomato, peppers, oil, and salt, if desired. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro.
Note. This soup keeps well and is even more flavorful the next day.
Gluten free variation. To make this dish gluten free, be sure to read ingredient labels carefully and purchase gluten-free chicken buillion cubes.
Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 182, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 466 mg, Fiber: 13 g
Carbohydrate choices: 2 bread/starch, 1 meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.