- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa, medium-hot
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup corn, drained (frozen or canned)
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 4 ounces cooked diced chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 12 baked tortilla chips, broken
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add onions. Stir constantly until onions are transparent. Add garlic, chili powder, salsa, broth, corn, tomato, and chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook 5 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro and cook 2–3 minutes more. Ladle the soup into 4 soup bowls, and top with a sprinkling of broken tortilla chips.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 205, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 19 mg, Sodium: 699 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.