- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper; cook and stir 4 minutes or until edges are browned. Add garlic; cook and stir 15 seconds. Add water, tomatoes, zucchini, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add beans, basil, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, salt, and liquid smoke, if desired; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes before serving.
Tip. If your diet plan permits, top with croutons.
Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 157, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 8 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 670 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 fat, 2 vegetable, 1 meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.