- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dash black pepper (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add fennel; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add broth and pasta; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini; simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Ladle into shallow bowls; top with cheese, basil, and black pepper, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 126, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 430 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.