- 3/4 cup uncooked fusilli macaroni (small twist macaroni)
- 3/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, chopped or crumbled (approximately 1/2 ounce)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese(not refrigerated Parmesan cheese)
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- Yield: 1 pint jar of mix
- 1 pint jar of Hearty Lentil Soup Mix
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Layer ingredients in a pint jar, beginning with macaroni and ending with oregano. You may use a funnel with a 2-inch neck (like a canning funnel) to fill the jar more easily. Press down ingredients after each addition (all ingredients will fit). Seal jar lid tightly.
Instructions to write on gift tag:
Hearty Lentil Soup
Combine contents of jar with water in a large pan.
Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender; stir occasionally. Before serving, stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. If desired, simmer longer for thicker soup, or thin soup with water (particularly refrigerated leftovers).
Yield: 5 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 137, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 294 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch. Carbohydrate choices: 2.