- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (do not substitute unsweetened, frozen strawberries)
- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 packets NutraSweet (may add more or use less depending on sweetness of strawberries)
- 1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
Place strawberries and orange juice in a blender, cover, and process until smooth. Pour fruit mixture into a saucepan and whisk in cornstarch. Place over medium-high heat and cook, whisking periodically, until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk in NutraSweet and yogurt. Pour soup into a shallow container and refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hours to allow for thorough chilling and blending of flavors. If desired, thin soup slightly with cold water before serving. Serve in bowls and garnish each serving with a whole strawberry and two vanilla wafers, if desired.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 153, Carbohydrates: 31 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 49 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 skim milk. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.