- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 can (10 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Half a 13.75-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- Half a 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled banana pepper rings
- 2 ounces provolone cheese, shredded or sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 13-inch pizza pan or baking stone with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with cornmeal. Place pizza dough on pan and, starting at center, press dough out with hands to cover pan. Using your fingertips or a pastry brush, coat dough lightly with olive oil. Bake 5–8 minutes, or until light golden. Remove crust from the oven and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese. Cover with tomato slices, onion rings, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, and banana pepper rings. Top with provolone cheese and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Return pizza to the oven and bake 17–22 minutes more, or until crust is deep golden.
Yield: 13-inch pizza. Serving size: 1/8 of pizza.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 207, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 622 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.