- 1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (juice of approximately 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
Place tomato paste, lime juice, garlic powder, salt, and onion in a food processor. Cover and process until onion is finely chopped. Add cilantro and 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies. Pulse until just mixed. Transfer to a serving dish and stir in remaining can of diced tomatoes and green chilies. Serve at once or refrigerate (flavor improves if chilled 1–2 hours).
Yield: 3 1/2 cups. Serving size: 1/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 25, Carbohydrates: 5 g, Protein: 1 g, Fat: <1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 222 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 nonstarchy vegetable.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.