- 1/2 six-inch diameter whole wheat pita pocket
- 1 leaf green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 canned whole artichoke heart, quartered
- 2 teaspoons finely diced purple onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon crumbled bleu cheese
- 2 teaspoons commercial lite balsamic vinaigrette
Wrap outside of pita pocket in foil or plastic wrap before filling (to prevent the pocket from splitting while stuffing). Place lettuce leaf in pocket, then fill with cabbage, artichoke, onion, cucumber, and tomato. Sprinkle with bleu cheese and drizzle evenly with vinaigrette.
Yield: 1 pocket. Serving size: 1 pocket.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 167, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 462 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 non-starchy vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.