- 10 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup lite (low-sodium) teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion (2 inches in diameter), peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon lite (low sodium) soy sauce
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces fresh white mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 small red pepper (about 2–2 1/2 inches in diameter), stemmed, seeds removed, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (prepared according to package directions)
Place tofu pieces in a small bowl. Pour teriyaki sauce over cubes and stir to coat. Let sit 30 minutes to marinate at room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables as described above. Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large sauté pan. Add garlic, onion, and black pepper and stir-fry about 1 minute. Raise heat to high, and add marinated tofu (and any remaining teriyaki sauce within the bowl), chicken broth, and soy sauce; stir-fry 1 minute. Add broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper, and water chestnuts. Stir-fry 2–3 minutes until desired crispness of vegetables is reached. Serve each portion over 2/3 cup hot, cooked brown rice.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 cup tofu mixture over 2/3 cup rice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 280, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 226 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.