- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) 99% fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
In a small saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Sprinkle flour in, using a whisk to combine to form a paste. Slowly add chicken broth, whisking continuously. Add black pepper and onion powder, and continue whisking until heated through. Gravy will be moderately thick.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups gravy. Serving size: about 1/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 30, Carbohydrates: 2 g, Protein: 1 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 192 mg, Fiber: 0 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 fat.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. She is coauthor of Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for One, published by the American Diabetes Association in 2007.