- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
Combine sweet potatoes and parsnips in large saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Drain vegetables; return to pan. Add milk, butter, salt, and nutmeg. Mash with potato masher over low heat until desired consistency is reached. Stir in chives.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 136, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 8 mg, Sodium: 243 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.