- 2 cups baby arugula (about 1 ounce), washed and drained
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
- 3 tablespoons fat-free garlic or Italian dressing
- 2 six-inch whole-grain pita breads, cut in halves
In a medium bowl, combine arugula, pepper strips, and olives. Using fingers, pinch peanut-size pieces of chèvre or crumble into bowl. Add dressing and mix well. Open the pockets in the pita bread halves, and stuff 1/4 of the mixture into each pocket.
Yield: 2 servings. Serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 294, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 22 mg, Sodium: 404 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.