- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 large purple onion, chopped
- 2 large cucumbers (about 9 inches each), peeled and chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled reduced-fat Italian dressing
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
Combine beans, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, capers, and Feta in a large serving dish. Toss gently to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing, lemon juice, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper. Drizzle over bean mixture and toss gently to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow flavors to blend.
Yield: 11 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 116, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 550 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.