- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 4 small plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 jar (4 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 10 large scallops
- 20 large shrimp, shelled and cleaned
Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan. Add garlic, onions, and rice and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, wine, water, lemon juice, and paprika. Stir saffron into boiling water and add to mixture. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, and roasted red peppers. Cook uncovered for approximately 10 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, scallops, and shrimp and cook for additional 7–10 minutes until scallops and shrimp are done and rice is tender. Serve immediately.
Yield: 7 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 198, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 28 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Sodium: 89 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.