- 4 cups water
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon roasted garlic (See separate recipe for instructions.)
Place 4 cups water, barley, and salt in a medium saucepan, partially cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir occasionally. When barley is cooked, drain off excess water, add olive oil, and toss lightly with a fork. Add in grated cheese, rosemary, and roasted garlic. Cooked vegetables such as zucchini, asparagus, endive, mushrooms, shallots, or fennel may also be added, if desired. Mix well. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 118, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Cholesterol: 2 mg, Sodium: 47 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Johanna Burani is a dietitian and certified diabetes educator at Nutrition Works in Morristown, New Jersey.