- 1 nine-inch unbaked piecrust
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 can (8 1/2 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free powdered chicken bouillon
- 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place piecrust in a quiche dish or deep-dish pie plate. Layer broccoli, onion, carrot, corn, and cheese in bottom of the crust; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together egg substitute, milk, bouillon, flour, salt, pepper, and ground mustard; pour evenly over vegetables and cheese. Bake uncovered for 45–50 minutes, or until quiche is set in the center; lay foil over if crust begins to get too dark.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1/8 quiche.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 210, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Sodium: 620 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.