- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat penne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped grape tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces medium raw shrimp (with tails on), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 cups chopped tomatoes, reserved 1/2 cup pasta water, 2 tablespoons basil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir 10 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften.
Add shrimp and 1 cup halved tomatoes to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and opaque. Add pasta; cook until heated through.
Divide mixture evenly among four bowls. Top evenly with cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons basil.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1/4 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.