- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces fully cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast strips (such as frozen Tyson’s Fully Cooked Chicken Breast Strips)
- 2 cloves (or teaspoons) minced garlic
- 1 3/4 cups dry orzo pasta
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, 1/3-less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium zucchini (approximately 6–7 inches long), cut lengthwise into fourths, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (approximately 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add chicken, garlic, orzo, and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 8–9 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in remaining ingredients and return to a simmer (if mixture becomes too dry, add water to prevent sticking). Simmer 5–7 minutes, or until pasta is tender and vegetables are crisp-tender.
Yield: 8 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 228, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 238 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.