- 1 meatless veggie burger such as Morning Star or Boca (approximately 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 whole wheat hot dog bun, split and warmed
- 2 thin slices purple onion
- 2 thin slices green pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free marinara sauce
Warm burger according to package directions and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Cut the burger in half. Warm bun in microwave 10–15 seconds. Layer bottom of the hot dog bun with burger halves, onion slices, pepper slices, and top of bun. While assembling sandwich, warm marinara sauce. Serve sandwich with sauce for dipping.
Yield: 1 sandwich. Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 252, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 19 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 675 mg, Fiber: 9 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 2 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.