- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces tubular pasta (such as penne or ziti)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Heat the margarine and oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring over low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus and sauté until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the salmon to the skillet. Sprinkle with pepper, and stir the mixture to blend. Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente, about 8–10 minutes. Drain pasta and return it to the cooking pot. Add the asparagus mixture. Stir in the dill and toss to blend.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 302, Carbohydrates: 46 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 148 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 3.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.