- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup margarine labeled no trans or saturated fat
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granular
- 3 eggs or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large tube pan or a 10” x 10” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and lightly coat with flour. Blend the margarine, applesauce, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup Splenda together. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mixing until incorporated. In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup Splenda, cinnamon, and nuts; set aside. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle three-quarters of the sugar–nut mixture over the batter. Top with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the rest of the sugar–nut mixture. Bake for 50–60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Let the coffee cake cool for 10 minutes. If you baked the cake in a tube pan, invert and remove from the pan.
Yield: 20 servings. Serving size: 1/20th of the recipe (about 2 ounces).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 180, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1.5 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 200 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.