- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar-free, fat-free chocolate syrup (such as Smucker's)
- 1 six-ounce purchased chocolate crumb pie crust
- 1 quart no-sugar-added, reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (add more or less to taste)
- 9 drops green food coloring (add more or less for desired color)
Spread 1/4 cup chocolate sauce evenly in the bottom of the pie crust. Freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, allow ice cream to soften at room temperature. Transfer ice cream to a mixing bowl and stir in peppermint extract and food coloring. Spoon ice cream into pie crust and spread evenly. Swirl the top of the ice cream with a knife. Drizzle remaining chocolate sauce over the top of the pie. Return to freezer until ice cream is firm again–at least 1 1/2 hours. After ice cream has hardened, cover pie tightly, and freeze.
Yield: 8 slices. Serving size: 1 slice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 228, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Fiber: <1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 low-fat milk. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.