- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup plus 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled, diced apples
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, blend flours, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/3 cup margarine. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ pan. Combine remaining 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons margarine with salt, cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and mix. Add apples and nuts, tossing to coat. Spread mixture evenly on top of first layer. Bake until brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.
Yield: 24 bars. Serving size: 1 bar (3 inches x 1.5 inches).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 137, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 71 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.