- 1 1/2 cups liquid egg substitute
- 1 package (2.75 ounces) no-fat, country-style gravy mix (such as Pioneer)
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 dashes black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (substitute white bread if desired)
- 6 ounces sausage-style soy crumble (such as Morningstar Farms)
- 1 cup finely shredded, reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, place egg substitute, dry gravy mix, milk, and pepper. Whisk well to combine. Set aside.
Coat a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Line dish with bread slices in a single layer. Cut slices to fit baking dish. Sprinkle sausage crumbles over bread. Pour the gravy mixture evenly over the sausage and bread. Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese and then parsley over the top. Bake 30 minutes or until set in the center. Sprinkle the top lightly with paprika before serving. Cut into 8 slices.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1/8 of casserole, each slice approximately 4 1/2" X 3 1/4".
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 202, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 820 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 skim milk. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.