- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice (the juice of approximately 3–4 small limes; do not use lime juice concentrate)
- 1 teaspoon (or 1 clove) crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) no-salt-added white corn, drained
- 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1–2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and very finely minced (more or less to taste)
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed, fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, finely chopped
In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir gently to combine. Add dressing from small bowl and toss gently to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Stir gently and serve with baked tortilla chips or tortillas or enjoy as a side dish or salad.
Yield: 8 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 120, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 198 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.