- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry whole wheat rotini pasta (about 3 ounces)
- 1 cup canned or fully cooked black beans, unseasoned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 stick part-skim mozzarella string cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons Kraft Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
Bring water to a boil over high heat in a 1-quart saucepan. Add pasta and cook according to package directions until tender (about 12 minutes). Rinse in colander under cool running water to stop cooking process, then drain well. Place pasta in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add black beans and tomato. Slice the cheese stick horizontally to make thin, circle-shaped pieces and add to bowl. Add salad dressing, parsley, and garlic powder and toss well. Place in a serving bowl, and garnish with chopped green onion. Chill for one hour before serving.
Yield: 3 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 110, Carbohydrates: 18 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 75 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. She is coauthor of Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for One, published by the American Diabetes Association in 2007.