If you or someone else is experiencing signs or symptoms of stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately and say you think you (or the other person) are having a stroke. Common signs and symptoms of stroke include the following:
- Sudden loss of speech, slurred speech, or inability to understand language
- Sudden loss of vision or blurred or double vision
- Sudden numbness or loss of feeling in parts of the body
- Sudden dizziness, trouble walking, or maintaining balance
- Sudden severe headache, often with a stiff neck and vomiting
Getting medical attention quickly is essential to preserve as much brain function as possible, and calling an ambulance – by dialing 9-1-1 – is the fastest way to get that attention.