To print: Select File and then Print from your browser's menu
Take-Away Job Tips
Giving your diabetes the attention it needs during the workday is important to keep you healthy and productive at your job. Making sure others are aware of your diabetes and your need to care for it is important, too. Here are some of the steps involved in managing your diabetes while working:
• Educate your colleagues about diabetes to help them understand your needs.
• Research your options for bringing or buying healthy foods to eat at work.
• Take your level of physical activity at work into consideration when planning for daily exercise.
• Keep your diabetes supplies in an accessible location where they won’t get too hot or too cold.
• Be aware of how your work hours — both the number of hours and your work shift — affect your blood glucose levels.
• If your work schedule or duties impair your ability to care for your diabetes, discuss it with your employer.
• Take measures to prevent or minimize job stress.
• Know your rights as an employee.
Statements and opinions expressed on this Web site are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the publishers or advertisers. The information provided on this Web site should not be construed as medical instruction. Consult appropriate health-care professionals before taking action based on this information.