Diabetes is a day-to-day challenge, and attention to detail is important. But don’t miss the forest for the trees: Keep the following in mind:
- Serving size matters. Keep measuring cups and spoons and a food scale handy so you can accurately measure your portions.
- Stay active. Increasing your activity level may lower your A1C by as much as 0.6%.
- Laughing is a good thing, so find ways to laugh often.
- Learn from your mishaps; don’t chastise yourself. If your blood glucose goes up, try to figure out why.
- Use time-management tools such as automatic medication or refill reminders.
- Make time for preventive care.
- When you have problems with your diabetes or other parts of your life, seek help — sooner rather than later.